- How to Make Water Kefir
What is Water Kefir?
Water kefir is a probiotic beverage made with the help of water kefir grains. Water kefir grains consist of probiotics and yeast in a symbiotic relation, it can be used to culture sugary water, juice, or coconut water. The word “kefir grains” describes the appearance of the culture only. Water kefir grains contain no actual “grains” such as other forms of seeds.
You’ll need the following supplies to make water kefir,
- A well-cleaned glass jar
- Silicone Spatula
- Any cloth to cover the jar
- A rubber band
- Plastic strainer
Please note, You will need activated water kefir grains, if grains are in a dehydrated form, you’ll have to activate them before making water kefir. You can try our different recipes.
- Activated Water Kefir Grains
- 1/4 cup sugar per quarter of water (brown/white) both works
- Water (free of chlorine and fluoride)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING WATER KEFIR
- Pour quarter 1/4 cup sugar into the jar.
- Add half 1/2 cup hot water.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add 3 cups of water ( room temperature 68°-85°F ).
- Add the water kefir grains
- You can also put a dry fruit into it. You can use any one of these.
* 1 fig or
* 10 raisins or
* 2 dried apricots or
* 2 prunes
- Cover the jar and place in a room temperature, to culture for 24-48 hours place free from direct sunlight
- After culturing is complete, you can prepare a new batch, repeat steps 1-4 above.
- Strain kefir grains from the finished water kefir.
- Your water kefir is now ready to consume, you can flavor it, or keep in fridge to store bottle
- You can also try a second fermentation for enhanced flavor, you can follow our water kefir recipes.
Important Things to Note
- Use a glass jar with a wide mouth.
- Do not fill the jar to the top. Leave some space so that it doesn’t overflow.
- The water you will use must be chlorine-free drinking water.
- Do not use metal spoons. It can be wood or plastic.
- You can use both brown and white sugar. Depending on the sugar you use, it may turn white to brown
- We recommend that the dried fruits used are organic or completely free of chemicals and medicines. Otherwise, your yeast can be damaged.